The terrorist attacks on the United States of America on September 11th, 2001 were the most devastating to ever occur on U.S. soil. On November 27th, 2002 the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, also known as the 9/11 Commission was formed. The Commission acknowledged there are some real security interests which must be kept in secrecy but these concerns must be weighed against other pertinent concerns such as transparency:
“The culture of agencies feeling they own the information they gathered at taxpayer expense must be replaced by a culture in which the agencies instead feel they have a duty to information—to repay the taxpayers’ investment by making that information available.”
On Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 Immigration Customs Enforcement employees who work as Detention Removal Officers were called into work and 207 illegals were processed and released from the ICE Eloy facility on this date alone. Of the 207, a total of 48 of them had been charged or convicted in the United States with either manslaughter, child molestation, aggravated assault, weapon offenses, forgery, drug offenses and or other serious crimes.
Whistleblowers including ICE Supervisors, ICE employees, U.S. Border Patrol Supervisors and employees immediately reached out to Sheriff Babeu and informed him about what theywere being ordered to do by ICE Administration in Washington, D.C. Employees knew what they were being ordered to do was unethical and completely contrary to their sworn oath to protect the American public.
Employees had serious concerns about the clear public safety threats this would cause to the American public because many of the detainees being released have criminal records and they were being ordered to give them court dates as distant as two to three years away from their release date.
Sheriff Babeu immediately contacted senior staff members at ICE in an attempt to confirm the information he was being told by whistleblowers, to determine who made the decision, where the detainees were being released too, and a list of their names, criminal histories and security risks. All attempts to obtain information were refused and the only information he continued to receive was through whistleblowers.
After failing to be given any information from ICE Officials, on February 26th, 2013 Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu sent out the attached News Release notifying the public of the release of over 500 criminal illegal detainees from detention facilities in Pinal County. ICE had attempted to release all of the criminal illegals under secrecy. Later that day, ICE acknowledged the release but said it was “only a few hundred nationwide.”
As public pressure mounted, ICE later admitted they released over 2,000 illegals from detention facilities throughout the United States and planned to release another 3,000 more this month.
After this information went public, ICE officials had supervisors attend briefings and also sent emails to employees threatening employees who released information on this matter to a third party would be disciplined and possibly terminated.
On February 28th, 2013 Sheriff Babeu sent the attached letter to Secretary Napolitano formally asking for the same information. Still as of today, we haven’t heard back but have heard from ICE supervisors, she will not be providing our office the information we requested.
On March 4th, 2013 Sheriff Babeu faxed and sent by mail, the attached letter to Congressman Issa (Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee
) requesting a congressional inquiry and oversight hearings to investigate the recent mass release of more than 2,000 criminal illegals from ICE custody.
On March 5th, 2013 Congressman Issa announced that he will be launching a formal investigation into this matter.
On March 14th, 2013, ICE Director John Morton told members of Congress during his testimony, in fact 629 of the released detainees had criminal records here in the United States. Ten of which were “LEVEL ONE”
offenders which are the most dangerous classification of any detainee in ICE custody. Director Morton said, the ten are back in ICE custody yet he has still refused to provide local law enforcement agencies any information.
Our office has not been notified if the ten who were rearrested include the two released from the Eloy ICE facility who had been charged with manslaughter, or the ones who were charged with molesting children, weapon offenses or aggravated assault.
Sheriff Paul Babeu stated, “Secretary Napolitano continues to proclaim that the border is secure and now the Obama administration attempted to release thousands of criminal illegals from custody. They tried to do it in secrecy, then admitted it was only a few hundred, then over two- thousand and then said none of them had criminal records, yet now we know once again they weren’t being truthful or transparent. Director Morton has now confirmed over 30% of them have criminal records. Recidivism is always high among those released from custody and now there is no doubt it will be even higher amongst these individuals as they are not even legal U.S. citizens. We may never know how high the recidivism rate is on these criminal illegals because Secretary Napolitano refuses to provide law enforcement with their names, criminal histories, security threat or locations.”
Sheriff Babeu concluded, "At least with Eric Holder's Fast & Furious the 2,000 high powered guns were given to the drug cartels in Mexico, these 2,200 serious criminals were released directly into our communities. Our law abiding citizens and families will be victimized by serious crimes for years to come by President Obama's mass prison break."