Currently Seeking Applications for Trial Court Appointment Commission
FLORENCE – Non-attorney members are being sought to serve on the Pinal County Commission for Trial Court Appointments. There are several important changes coming to Pinal County in 2013. There will be a five-member Board of Supervisors, a variety of new office holders and now Superior Court judges will be chosen by the Governor and not through direct elections in the past.
According to the Arizona Constitution, a county with a population of 250,000 or more in the latest census shall move to merit selection of Superior Court judges. In the 2010 census, Pinal County’s official population was 375,770.
In September, the Board of Supervisors appointed seven residents from each of their respective districts (including the upcoming Districts 4 and 5) to sit as the Pinal County Commission of Trial Court Appointments Nominating Committee.
The Nominating Committee is currently seeking applications from non-attorneys to serve on the Pinal County Commission of Trial Court Appointments.
In accordance with the Arizona Constitution, Article VI, Section 41, requirements for the two (2)
non-attorney members are:
- Must have resided in the state for at least five years
- Must have resided in the supervisorial district from which appointed for at least one year before being nominated (The supervisorial district in which you reside it can be found in this shortened URL: http://goo.gl/VzdW2
- Cannot be a judge, a retired judge or a lawyer admitted to practice before the Arizona Supreme Court
- Cannot hold any governmental office, elective or appointed, for profit (i.e. salary, commission, etc.) (An appointee can be a governmental employee.)
The nominating committee will select candidates to recommend to the Governor. Applications, along with the Committee’s recommendation for appointment, will be forwarded to the Governor who shall make appointments subject to confirmation by the Arizona Senate.
- Note: The two appointees cannot be from the same political party.
Send a letter and résumé to Stephanie Jordan, Deputy Court Administrator, ATTENTION: Trial Court Commission Nominating Committee, POB 1748; Florence, AZ 85132. The Nominating Committee is accepting applications through November 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM