FAQ Questions

 FAQ Answers

What is a Parent Coordinator?
A Parenting Coordinator is a professional appointed by the Court to assist parents in resolving disputes about parenting their children and to make recommendations to the Court for orders if the parents are unable to reach a resolution. When a dispute is presented to the Parenting Coordinator, the Parenting Coordinator may try to assist parents in reaching a resolution.

The Parenting Coordinator might want to obtain other information such as the children’s opinion, information from doctors, therapists, schools or other caretakers. If the parties cannot reach an agreement, the Parenting Coordinator then makes a recommendation to the Court for an order
Why did the Judge order a Parent Coordinator?

Parents may need a Parenting Coordinator when other avenues of problem resolution have not worked and there are continued disagreements regarding issues such as schedules, overnight parenting time, choice of schools, extracurricular activities, exchanging the children, holiday scheduling, the handling of the children’s behavior, religious training, health issues, and problematic behaviors on the part of one or both parents.  Many times, the family has already participated in a custody and parenting time evaluation. Using a Parenting Coordinator to resolve disputes and help make recommendations to the Court about your children can be a useful alternative to repeatedly going to Court.

Parenting Coordinator’s goals are somewhat different than those of a Judge.  A Judge’s job is to make orders that are based on the law, including the best interests of the children.  A Parenting Coordinator’s job is to assist parents in making parenting decisions in the best interests of the children and in accordance with the parenting plan, as set forth in the decree or current court order. Whenever possible, a major goal is to help families develop skills so they do not need a Parenting Coordinator.

What issues can the Parent Coordinator resolve?
The Parent Coordinator shall not have the authority to make recommendations affecting child support, a change in custody or a substantial change in parenting time. A PC shall only have the authority that is delegated in the Court Order or the consent provided by the parties. The following issues can be addressed by the PC if the Court Order grants the PC authority or by consent of the parties, but they are not limited to:
  1. Minor change or clarification of parenting time, including holidays, vacation, or temporary variation from the existing plan
  2. Transitions and/or the exchange of the children including date, time, place and means of transportation or general travel
  3. Health management issues including medical dental, orthodontic and vision care
  4. Child rearing issues
  5. Psychotherapy or other mental health care including substance abuse assessment, psychological testing, or counseling for the children or parents
  6. Education or daycare including location, tutoring, summer school, participation in special education testing or programming or other major educational decisions
  7. Extracurricular or enrichment activities including enrollment in sports, camps, or jobs
  8. Religious Issues
  9. Personal appearance changes including clothing or alteration of appearance
  10. Parental communication including telephone, email, notes, etc.
  11. Contact with significant others and/or extended family members
  12. Access to the children’s records, including medical, dental, mental health, and education
  13. Parenting classes for either or both parents
How do I contact my Parent Coordinator?

Contact your Parent Coordinator by email at Mediator-Pinal@courts.az.gov or by fax at 520-866-7354.  You must include the other parent in all correspondence that you send to the Parent Coordinator.

You must include your name and case number on all correspondence to the Parent Coordinator.

Is there a fee for Parent Coordination?
Currently there is a $50 per person fee for Parent Coordination.  The Court Ordered fee must be paid at the Clerk of the Court’s office before you attend the required Parent Coordination orientation.
How do I ask for help from the Parent Coordinator?
A party seeking relief shall set forth the following information:
  • The specific relief requested
  • The specific Court Order or other basis on which the request for relief is based
  • Complete the Request for Relief online or download the form.
  • Include in your request evidence that a copy of your request was sent to the other party
  • Include a description of any other issues you need assistance with not listed on the Request for Relief.
  • Include your name and case number on all correspondence.
What should I do if the other parent has asked for help from the Parent Coordinator?
A party who receives a Request for Relief from the other party should:
  • Respond within 7 days unless the Parenting Coordinator (PC) grants an extension
  • Include in your response evidence that a copy of your response was sent to the other party.
  • Include in your response whether the relief should be granted or denied in whole or in part
  • State the reason why you believe the relief should be granted in whole or in part or denied
  • Include other facts that might be important to your case
  • Include your name and case number on all correspondence.
When is the Parenting Coordinator available?
Parent Coordinators are available only Monday – Friday. Parent Coordinators are not available on evenings or weekends.  If an emergency situation should arise, contact the appropriate person - your attorney, police, CPS, etc.