How do I know how high to build my house in a floodplain?

When you come into the Planning and Development Office to apply for your permit, a Code Compliance officer will determine by looking at a flood map whether or not your parcel is in a floodplain. Either the map will have the elevation required noted on it, or we will ask you to hire a registered land surveyor or engineer to determine the Base Flood Elevation in that area. Once we have that number, or flood depth, then we can designate a height to place either your lowest floor of your conventionally built home, or the bottom of the frame of your manufactured home. Either way, we will help you understand the requirements up front, so once you start building your home you will know exactly how high to elevate it in order to meet FEMA requirements and hopefully prevent any flood loss in a 100 year flood.